There are no graves available for purchase in the Oxford Township Cemetery. However, there is still availability in both the North Oxford Cemetery and the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery.
Please Contact the Clerk's Office for additional Information
Phone: (248) 628-9787, ext. 106
The Oxford Township Cemetery is located just outside the present Village of Oxford on West Burdick Street, which becomes Seymour Lake Road as you travel west. According to Oakland County records, in 1838 Oxford Township purchased an acre of ground in the SW quarter of Section 22 for use as a cemetery. The first known burial was that of William Maxwell, who died in 1838 at 19 years of age.
Oak trees appear to have been planted at the borders of this acre and are still in a discernible pattern, outlining the area now known as the Old Burial Grounds. In 1989, the North Oakland Historical Society created a map and directory of the Old Burial Grounds by physically mapping the site and recording information from the remaining legible headstones. A copy of this information is available to examine in the Clerk’s Department.
According to Oakland County historical information, the Township purchased 6 additional acres in 1871. Land to the west, north and east was platted for expansion of the Cemetery. These additional areas are now known as the Eastern Division and Western Division. Eventually, land was purchased and platted on the south side of Seymour Lake Road in areas now known as the 1st Addition and 2nd Addition.